So this is the final wrap up and final post for the year. When we sent out this poll, we asked for the top five aussie releases and they could be albums, eps, singles, downloads, or streams. But it’s obvious the majority of the industry still relate releases as traditional albums. I like listening to albums as entire work of art, how each song relates to a unifying theme and mood. But producing such a body of work requires experience that only comes after a few albums’ work. Out of the top ten, three are sophomore albums and only one is a third album release (Augie March’s). One EP made it and that is Midnight Juggernauts’. I wouldn’t want to see the end of albums as the music listening world changes, but if we’re still around by end of next year I’m hoping that we’ll get a good mix of albums, eps and singles in the top 10. I hope that as broadband usage spreads people will actually make more of an effort to listen to music beyond what publicists, media writers and both major and independent labels put out.
Thanks for reading, we’re taking a bit of a break so see you in mid-January.
Top 10 Releases of 2006
1. Dappled Cities Fly – Granddance
2. Gotye – Like Drawing Blood
3. Macromantics – Moments In Movement
3. Sleepy Jackson – Personality (One Was A Spider, One Was A Bird)
5. Augie March – Moo, You Bloody Choir
5. Snowman – Snowman
7. Wolf & Cub – Vessels
8. The Grates – Gravity Won’t Get You High
10. Ground Components – An Eye For A Brow. A Tooth For A Pick
10. Midnight Juggernauts – Secrets Of The Universe EP